* This blog has been formulating itself in my head for some time now. It's dedicated to the ponderings I have when driving, the random thoughts and debates that go through my brain in the shower, and the discussions I wish I had finished at dinner.
* I am not a writer, though there are times I wish I could be paid to write. (Don't all bloggers?!) As you read this, just remember it's all based on opinion. That doesn't mean I'm closed-minded, but rather just passionate! So please feel free to share your opinions, thoughts, and questions. I always welcome a good debate!
* All that being said, sit back, relax, and enjoy! :)

Friday, August 3, 2018

Unexpected Accomplishment

This past weekend I accomplished something I wasn't even sure I wanted to accomplish until earlier this year. Back in February or March I had set a goal, kind of as a joke and kind of just to see people's reactions. I started throwing out the idea that I might do a sprint triathlon. In order to see if it might be possible, I started taking Cycle classes. (For years I've had one knee that sticks in the bent position while cycling. It's very painful when I force it to straighten out!)
After a couple of weeks of suffering through Cycle classes I got my knee to relax and stop sticking. I love swimming so that wouldn't be an issue. I'd run 5K and 5 miles races in the past and had already started running the indoor track (my usual end of winter routine) so that was good. It was just a matter of putting it all together, I figured. Yea, I could do this. Why not?!

So I started telling people I was thinking about doing a Sprint Tri. Oh the reactions were not at all what I expected!
* Hubby rolled his eyes (to be expected since he gets tired of me training for things over the summer)
* Daughter said, "OK". Then was just a little surprised when I told her what was involved.
* My dad wanted to know when it was so he could make sure to be there. Wow, really!?
* My brother told my mom he was impressed. This really threw me for a loop!
* Random participants in my class turned their noses up that I would be swimming in the canal. (That's why I picked the one I did!) But then would ask me along the way how training was going.
* A woman who interviewed me for a job was thrilled to hear I had that goal. OK, we just met, but sure put it on your calendar!

Around April I really needed to decide if I was for real or just carrying this joke on a bit longer. I was starting to get a lot of people involved!

May - OK I'm really doing this. Time to sign up! It took me another 3 weeks to get organized and remember to sign up when I had a credit card handy. But on June 18th, I finally did it. I plunked down a bunch of money to voluntarily swim 500 meters in the Indianapolis canal, cycle 20k around the city, and run 5k between the zoo and IUPUI.
> That's a completely sane thing to do, right?
> That's a necessary thing to spend money on, yes?!
> Training up to 2 hours a day is normal, agreed??

I spent Spring and Summer following a 12-week plan I created based on two other plans I found online. It wasn't too bad. I haven't worked out on a more consistent basis since junior high school cheerleading. Six days a week I was doing something. Workouts ranged from 30 minute runs to 2 hour brick workouts. I made the swims longer than necessary b/c I just loved those days. I enlisted a couple of friends to train w/ me and they all lasted 1 day. I was on my own.
But I didn't mind. I found I treasured my time on my own. I don't usually enjoy running and yet those weren't the most difficult days at first. The bike was the worst. I know people thought I was joking when I told them my slow times, but I was working my butt off to get faster! Later in the summer a wonderful woman in my water fitness classes offered to lend me her bike. Wow what a difference! Suddenly, cycling wasn't as hard as running and my run days took over as the most difficult.
Brick days - doesn't that sound intimidating? But I was excited for the first one. I hadn't yet paid my money and wanted to see if I could even get off a bike and start running right away. It was one of my best runs! That sealed the deal for me - there was no turning back now.

At this point I started reaching out to friends who have done sprint and full tris. I was told to sign up for Above Average swimming ability (really? Are you sure??) I was given pointers on how to make the transitions faster. I was encouraged. I was uplifted. I was excited!!!

By July 29th I was Ready. I always go into a race with the mindset that I've done all I could do and whatever happens happens.
> I wanted to finish under 2 hours.
> My hubby said to be fast b/c I've been training so hard.
> My dad said the goal is to finish.

I was feeling somewhere in between finish and fast.

...

From the moment I jumped in that canal (to the joyous sound of my daughter yelling, "Go Mom!!") I stayed focused: Swim consistent; Don't run over that guy but Do try to get around him; Don't speed up just b/c someone else is catching up; Remember you have 20K on a bike and 5K on your feet left to go; Use those arms...

I climbed up the steps, gave my awesome family a fist pump as I ran off to my bike! Goggles & cap off; Shorts, socks, shoes, helmet on; Quick drink of water; Here we go!
Throughout the course of the bike route I passed 2 people. Countless people passed me! I knew they would but I didn't care b/c I was so much stronger at swimming. My friends had been right about Above Average Swimming and being passed on the bike wasn't nearly as scary as I had anticipated. Again the thoughts of consistency ran through my mind. I pushed harder but my legs felt good. I had trained for this. I had done much longer brick workouts than this. I. Was. Strong.

Once off the bike, I ran/walked my jiggly legs back to my spot: Re-hung the bike (why did this take the longest time of all???), Off with the helmet; Quick drink of water; Go run!

My mantra while running is "one foot in front of the other". I usually find someone I can follow to push a little without killing myself 2 miles in. In the beginning I had a guy with a cool American Flag on his bandana. But he stopped to walk...then passed me again...stopped to walk...passed me...stopped one more time...passed one final time and I never saw him again...That's OK. I kept steady and strong. I was actually doing this!
I came around the bend and thought, "Where do I sprint? At what point do I have enough energy left to sprint me across with finish line without dying just before it?" I smiled at my dad who was videotaping me around the corner - and I took off!

I crossed that Finish Line in 1 HOUR, 31 MINUTES, 32.9 SECONDS!!!!!

...

I've never felt stronger in my life. Everyone says you will get hooked once you enter the world of tri's. I hadn't doubted them but I hadn't expected to be seeking out a second race the same summer as my first! That's probably not going to happen, simply due to schedules. But I can safely say you will see me again on the Sprint Tri race circuit. I'm planning 2 next summer. And I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment