* This blog has been formulating itself in my head for some time now. It's dedicated to the ponderings I have when driving, the random thoughts and debates that go through my brain in the shower, and the discussions I wish I had finished at dinner.
* I am not a writer, though there are times I wish I could be paid to write. (Don't all bloggers?!) As you read this, just remember it's all based on opinion. That doesn't mean I'm closed-minded, but rather just passionate! So please feel free to share your opinions, thoughts, and questions. I always welcome a good debate!
* All that being said, sit back, relax, and enjoy! :)

Sunday, July 13, 2014

How I know I'm a Meat-Head

I'm a Meat Head.  That's right.  I'm a Meat Head.  I love working out.  I love sports (watching and playing, as long as I'm winning!).  I love being fit and hanging out with fit people.  I push my kid to workout and love it.  And yes, I LOVE football.  Yes, I am a Meat Head.
Recently it has become abundantly clear to me that this statement is true.  My parents have recently discovered a place called "Exercise Inc".  The concept is that a 20-minute strength training workout, working to failure on all major muscle groups once a week, will help someone build enough muscle to boost their metabolism, increase their cardiovascular fitness, and build muscle tone.  They have scientifically proven results so I'm not writing to bash the workout or the concept.  I am writing to explain how this helped me fully realize my Meat Head status.
My mom gave me a gift certificate for 2 workouts at Exercise Inc.  This included the initial 40 minute assessment then two 20-minute workouts.  I completed the paperwork both prior to and at the appointment.  (Let me just tell you that completing my "fitness goals" was the most difficult part of this!)  I talked with the trainer and further explained my two fitness "goals".  They were 1.) to tone my midsection (b/c I eat too much sometimes and it shows up in my belly!) and 2.) build endurance (b/c I am not running this summer so I figured my endurance was slacking.)  I was told that goal #1 would involve a change in diet.  They believe in the Paleo diet - eat how the cavemen ate.  And #2 would be increased with their workouts alone.

SIDE BAR - I can't actually be on a full Paleo diet b/c I am vegetarian.  I am not going to compromise food flavor for a flat belly.  I'd rather just increase my cardio fitness while decreasing the intake of cookies, haha!

OK so now they have me intrigued.  Let's get this 20 minute workout going!  The first appointment I only had time for the leg press.  Three minutes - 127 lbs - 10 seconds to push and 10 second to release.  I made it through 3 minutes...barely!  I was so excited for the next workout which would workout every major muscle in my body!

Workout #2 - we only got through 4 exercises.  On the 4th I thought my butt was going to cramp up and die!  But my upper body was feeling pretty normal.  And we didn't do any ab or back work at all.  We finished, scheduled the next week's workout, and I left on very weak feeling legs. Twenty minutes had flown by!  I didn't break a sweat (which you apparently aren't supposed to do) and after a few minutes rest I didn't feel fatigued (which I guess you aren't supposed to either?)

I have my final workout tomorrow.  In the meantime, here are my Meat Head thoughts:
1.) 20 minutes flew by and I was barely breathing heavy for more than a few minutes throughout the entire time.  Doesn't the ACSM recommend moderate exercise 5 times a week or intense 3 times for 30 minutes each?  One time a week for 20 minutes doesn't seem enough for me.
2.) I wasn't sweating.  I fully understand the concept behind this but something doesn't feel right when I don't break a sweat in a workout.
3.) I was mildly sore the next day.  But my butt was just as sore 4 days later after my hubby and I went duck pin bowling!  I'm used to feeling like I worked out after a super strenuous workout.
4.) No warm up or cool down/stretching?  This kind of goes against everything I have learned as a group exercise instructor and soon-to-be personal trainer.  Our muscles need to be warm before we add stress to them.  And stretching is so important to maintaining range of motion!  Especially as people age!
5.) If I am not exhausted by the end, I don't feel I've worked hard enough.  This is the #1 reason I know I am a Meat Head.  There was a man last week talking so enthusiastically about this 20 minute/1Xweek workout and how it fits in his life so well b/c he doesn't enjoy working out nor does he feel he has time to fit it in his life.  I, on other hand, feel stressed, unrelaxed, and fat if I don't workout hard at least a few times each week!  Twenty minutes was WAY TOO SHORT for me.  I NEED to spend time each week working out my stress...ignoring the world to focus on weights or cardio or sweating!...there's something about leaving the gym glistening in sweat, endorphins flowing through your body, smiling that makes my day.  Does this sound like the definition of Meat Head?  I thought so too!

So, at the end of the day, I'm sure a 20-minute workout 1Xweek, with research to back their results, is a great solution for the majority of America.  But for us Meat Heads it isn't enough.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta to relax and deal with life.  Working out is my way of dealing!
MEAT HEADS UNITE!

No comments:

Post a Comment