* This blog has been formulating itself in my head for some time now. It's dedicated to the ponderings I have when driving, the random thoughts and debates that go through my brain in the shower, and the discussions I wish I had finished at dinner.
* I am not a writer, though there are times I wish I could be paid to write. (Don't all bloggers?!) As you read this, just remember it's all based on opinion. That doesn't mean I'm closed-minded, but rather just passionate! So please feel free to share your opinions, thoughts, and questions. I always welcome a good debate!
* All that being said, sit back, relax, and enjoy! :)

Monday, September 11, 2023

September 11th, 2023...

 Today is the anniversary of one of the worst days in American history for my generation. Today is the anniversary of the twin towers falling to terrorist-takeovers. Today is the day I hope everyone will remember, but for a variety of reasons. And today is the day I realized it saddens me that not every school talks about this day. And I still can't talk about it without tears.

I asked my daughter what they did at her school to remember this day in history. She said they did nothing. She said there was no talk about and she didn't even realize the day until the end of the school day when someone said the date. I know that the city of Indianapolis was having 3 different memorials downtown at 8:30, 9:30, and 10:30 am. I know that NYC was having a few different memorials and lighting ceremonies. I know that 90+ new names (I think) were being added to the memorial in NYC as people who had died since the attacks as a result of illnesses they acquired by helping to save people in the buildings. But my daughter's school did nothing. And I am saddened by that.

I saw a series on Hulu that was actually created in 2021 and I wasn't going to watch it. I'm not ready. But, I hit play on it anyway while I waited for my daughter to call me up to tuck her into bed. I saw less than 5 minutes of this show and was in tears. I CANNOT WATCH THIS YET. I am NOT READY.

I don't think I have PTSD. I'm not trying to get a diagnosis or sympathy or even an encouraging word by posting this. I'm just trying to remember and make sure others remember. Here's why I think 9/11 is important:

#1 - this was the first time in a VERY LONG TIME that America came together. Yes, unfortunately we bonded over hate, but we bonded. We came together as a country, ignoring Republican versus Democrat. Most (and I know it was not all) races came together to grieve or fight or both. We felt like a united front against the enemy. People supported one another in their loss, fear, or grieving and we felt connected. We felt like America should feel.

#2 - for a solid week I watched TV footage of the attacks and the aftermath, the searching and the helping. I cried, I hugged my cats, I called, texted, or emailed my family who lived in Pittsburgh, Charlotte, and NYC. I went to work, and did it all again the next night. I donated everything I had to give to the first responders in NYC. I tried to sign up for the military but was rejected due to medical reasons. I felt so passionately about helping our country restore it's strength and community that I was willing to do almost anything to help. This was how many people reacted and it should be acknowledged that we were grieving as a country, struggling to come back, fighting against hate, and working together. Damn, it was hard.

#3 - George W. did the best he could to fight against this. At the time, America was searching for something to make the world right again. And President Bush did what he believed would help us out. Not everyone agrees it was the right decision. Not everyone thinks he acted appropriately. No one can agree on what should have happened next but can we please agree that he did SOMETHING? He was grieving and reeling from the shock like everyone else and he stepped up to act. I applaud that and it should be remembered.

#4 - regardless of their political affiliation, regardless of their sex, gender, sexual preference, race, etc we lost AMERICANS. Hundreds of Americans who were at work, going to work, getting coffee, sitting in meetings, chatting over the water cooler, flying home to family or away from family to work, flying to a holiday, working the flights. We lost them b/c of  some stupid terrorist attack! Some idiots who thought we deserved to die! WTF?! No one deserves that!!! We should remember all these people who lost their lives that day through no fault of their own. WE SHOULD REMEMBER.

#5 - EVERY school should have some kind of  acknowledgement that this is an important day. We don't need a national holiday, but we do need a moment of silence or a discussion about the monuments in major cities around the country. We should remember the families who are missing members b/c of this day. We should remember that at the end of the day, we are all Americans and everyone grieved or responded in their own way. None of it is right or wrong. It's simply a reaction.

I don't know which year I'll be able to watch footage or talk about this without tears filling my eyes. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go to the Memorial in NYC. But I know I will never forget that day. And I will always remember everyone who lost their lives or their loved ones and hold them in my heart. I get very frustrated at this country, but I will always strive to love all Americans and all living beings...

No comments:

Post a Comment