* This blog has been formulating itself in my head for some time now. It's dedicated to the ponderings I have when driving, the random thoughts and debates that go through my brain in the shower, and the discussions I wish I had finished at dinner.
* I am not a writer, though there are times I wish I could be paid to write. (Don't all bloggers?!) As you read this, just remember it's all based on opinion. That doesn't mean I'm closed-minded, but rather just passionate! So please feel free to share your opinions, thoughts, and questions. I always welcome a good debate!
* All that being said, sit back, relax, and enjoy! :)

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Generations

I'm a thirty-something. My grandparents were the Greatest Generation. My parents are Baby Boomers. My daughter will be the Cyber Generation. I'm kind of caught between generations. Sometimes people send those, "You know you grew up in the 80's when..." e-mails. This is directed at Gen X. Some of these things apply to me (MTV, big hair, "hair band" rock). Some of them I'm left going, "What?! When?! Huh?!" Yet some of the Gen Y stuff (growing up electronically savvy, striving to get ahead) I totally get.
So I find myself stuck between Gen X and Gen Y. It's not a bad thing. I think there is just not really a strong, distinct difference between the two. I have friends in both designated generations. The people I know in both blend in so many ways. The line is very blurred. Why can't they just call us "Generation random letters"?

One thing that stands out the most, that seems to be constant between the X-ers and the Y-ers is our attitude to life. I was thinking today about generations and attitudes.
The Greatest Generation:
Attitude was always about Strength; a Can-do and Will-do attitude; Proud. I love this generation. They embody everything I think of as American. I would be proud too, if I was of this generation!
Baby Boomers:
Attitude seems to be one of Get-ahead; they worked through the Booming 80's taking full advantage of the strong economy; Smart, hardworking, but ready to play through retirement. I'd love to retire like this generation!
Generation Random-Letters:
We're the generation that can't seem to settle down; we can't decide on our lives; of those of us who went to college, very few are doing anything related to our degrees; we've been to career counselors; we've changed jobs and directions in life a million times.
* What are we seeking?
* Why can't we settle down like our parents?
* Are we not happy or satisfied with what we have?
* Do we want too much or are we just infatuated with dreams?

We are surrounded by TV shows where people strike out on their own, or with a group of friends, and seek out happiness in their careers. They make a living working in NYC, acting, starting their own businesses, working free-lance. No one falls into unemployment or dies insurance-less on TV. We see people like Mark Zuckerman who had a passion for designing web sites that bring people together. The man created facebook and is an inspiration to others who wish they could create something so fabulous and profitable! Singers like Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber, neither one a strong vocal talent, make it seem less of a fluke and more likely that anyone can make it as a musician. Do starving artists even exist anymore?
-> If all these people can succeed, then surely my boring life of going to work, coming home, going to work, coming home, going to work, coming home, etc. can change! Surely I can make a living doing something I LOVE, that I am PASSIONATE about!

I think this is what my generation is all about...our lack of defining ourselves is what defines us as a generation...
Makes me wonder what my daughter's generation will be focused on...

No comments:

Post a Comment